I bought Garmin Edge 520 couple weeks ago. There are quite a few reviews on internet so this is not intended to be a general review.
This is rather few comments on features I didn’t find described elsewhere.
- I was used from Sigma Rox 9.0 that the configuration is done with convenience in a related software.
- This served also for the configuration backup.
- Unfortunately most of the setup for Garmin Edge 520 needs to be done manually on the device itself.
- For initial setup this is pretty time consuming.
As written in reviews the device does not have real navigation. Instead you can upload a
.gpx file and device will navigate you on a route.
- I used this link to generate Open Street maps for device:
- Map generation can be found here: http://http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/
- Route from Ride With GPS seems to work great even in Czech Republic.
- It takes some time before you get used to how the navigation works.
- Recently I was able to plan a group ride for 150km in mountains which worked very well.
- The only downside is that it took more than a minute before the device read the course and started to navigate.
- We made a small side trip and the device found itself back on the course once we joined the original plan.w
- It is very convenient to watch for example elevation profile during a ride.
- Overall the navigation is basically a race against a virtual partner.
- I liked Strava segments.
- Starred segments appear automatically on the device if you have Strava premium membership.
- Each segment can be in the device configured against whom you compete.
- There two related challenges:
- When using course navigation or Garmin Connect workouts segments are disabled by default.
- GPS precision can start/end the segment in a little bit different location than Strava will later evaluate it.